Friday, May 9, 2008

Little Cave - 5922 North Figueroa, Highland Park, CA

Highland Park always feels like the other side of the moon to me, even if you're coming from Eagle Rock. I often find myself groaning at the prospect of having to drive back home, that is up until I get there and start drinking; then I don't care. Tonight I hit up the Little Cave because it was actually on my way home. Following a screening of the 1922 German Expressionist Nosferatu, accompanied by some of the worst Manheim Steamroller-like music, the Little Cave seemed like an obvious choice.

The Little Cave feels a bit more spacious than an actual cave. Although in earnest they've made all the light shades red and covered the dropped in-ceiling lights (also red) with cut outs of bats. Had I actually been in caves maybe I could point out some discrepancies, but for drinking purposes I'll go ahead and pretend. Seating is plentiful with both stools around the bar, and with a bunch of low to the ground ottomans and against the wall bench seating. I had a party of 10 and we were all able to occupy a corner comfortably and within earshot of each other. To the back they have yet more space alloted to a smoking patio which has a random assortment of tables/chairs/empty bar to lean against. And it's pretty bright from the lights in the parking lot next door. Showing up at 8:30 the bar was dead except for maybe a couple guys who were the bartender's friends or regulars. Although appearance wise you get the cross between tatted up punk guys and cholos here, everyone was pretty mellow and friendly. The bartenders are quick, engaging enough not to be dicks, and the bar back did a great job of continually emptying our little table of the mountain of glasses that would accumulate every 15 minutes.

Music wise, there was some great soul/funk playing, maybe just one of the bartender's ipods, for the start of the night, however once the DJ showed up around 10 I was forced to listen to a mix of tolerable 80's music and some overplayed indie dance scene music from 2006. Blah. I like to listen to DJs either playing somewhat of a theme, or at least not crap. Mediocrity of music at a bar has become accepted to a point that angers me. But then again, you're playing to drunk people who will ask you to play Willie Nelson 6 times in a row even though you've stated you're only playing girl groups. The Little Cave is trying to do some music nights, and apparently is looking for DJs, which would explain the spotty themes and selection of current nights.

Drinking is moderately priced here. A regular mixed drink is around 6 and a half bucks. Thursdays is $3 Hefeweizen Drafts, which was also a plus to come this night. I was always pleased with my whiskey drinks, which were pretty strong. For me, I will go with a beer now and then, but I like to partly judge the bar on how my whiskey and diet tastes. Anyways, there is a decent sized liquor selection, with any bar's usual stock, nothing fancy.

The only issues I have are parking and people here. There is only street parking, which is fine around 9, but showing up around 11 you are parking in someone else's neighborhood with the chance of never finding your car again. I was told you can park in the CVS parking lot nearby, but honestly, when I pull that stunt I always get a ticket, so the choice is yours kids. The other problem is the crowd tends to lean a bit towards sausage fest. There were some couples who started pouring in around 10:30, but mostly it was the black tshirts/dark jeans guys who all look like they could take you one handed. So, if you just want to hang with your bros, or if you're going to be ignoring everyone else there, this is a pretty ok place for that. If you're a chick who wants to go out with girlfriends to just 'hang', maybe not, as you will get hit on by multiple guys named Frank. However if that IS what you're looking for, head on down! You can spot a couple hipsters around, but this place always feels harsher and yet friendly at the same time- not a hipster combination.

One thing to note is that this is one of the bars around LA that is known for its bar tricks, like blowing fire. However, in the several times I've been to this place no one has shown any impetus towards doing this. Oh sure, they LOOK like they could do it no problem, but no one does. Maybe I'll try out for it next time.
-Elana R



1 comment:

elana said...

I realize I've already strayed from what was going to be my official structure to writing these. Sorry to fuck up the system Evan...