Friday, May 9, 2008

Casita Del Campo - 1920 Hyperion Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027


This is one of the better Mexican restaurants on my side of town. It’s funky though. Not food funky… think Priscilla Queen of the Desert Funky. Proudly displayed beneath their sign is a garish poster featuring three Latin drag queens, none of which probably weigh less then 225lbs. The “Three Chicas” apparently have a drag revue going on in the subterranean depths of the restaurant, deemed “The Cavern Club”. Their show was that night, so it was a packed house.

The food here is fantastic for the most part. I’ve had better albondigas soup, but it’s solid enough. The chicken mole tops any I’ve had in Los Angeles, and their chips and salsa are uniquely awesome. Service can vary… I’ve had some of the worst service I ever experienced a couple months ago, but this time it was stellar. It’s a predominantly gay owned and patronized establishment so sometimes they hire pretty boy waiters that could give a shit about service, because everybody’s tipping them well no matter what they do. On this occasion our waiter was quick to bring us shot after shot of Cazadores and Dos Equis, and our food came much faster then expected. I had the mahi-mahi which came with fried plantains’. Very good.

There’s a well stocked bar, filled with a couple hipsters, some odd looking locals, and a bevy of sketchy middle-aged gay dudes out trolling. I wouldn’t suggest coming out to the bar just to drink unless that’s what you’re looking for. The main attraction is the food and the tequila… preferably a combination of the two.

I made the mistake of trying to take a piss right around the time the drag queen show ended, so the bathroom had a longer line then any lady’s bathroom I’d ever seen. I’d had several drinks, so my temper was short when one duo took especially long to vacate the premises… and I might have uttered, “C’mon… hurry up.” I was quickly put in my place by the line of effete gentlemen, “Oh look… we’re ruining his night.” Another one rubbed fake tears from his cheeks… “Look I’m shedding a tear for him”. I lowered my head and resorted to pissing in the alleyway beside the valet parking lot.
- Evan K.

No comments: